Fyrish Monument

In 1782 Sir Hector Munro, 8th of Novar, ordered to build the Fyrish Monument on Fyrish Hill (Cnoc Fhaoighris) near Alness, Easter Ross, Scotland. The monument represents the Gate of Nagapattinam, a port in Tamil Nadu, formerly Madras, India, which General Munro took for the British in 1781. It is visible from almost anywhere in the parishes of Kiltearn and Alness and provides an extensive view over the Cromarty Firth and beyond.